Dance Africa Fest 2017!
Sun October 1 @ 9:00 am | 6:30 pm| Free - $120
Intensive and engaging African drum and dance workshops that are one of a kind!
Austin, Texas’ Dance Africa Fest provides the opportunity for Central Texas communities to experience, explore and engage in music and movement of the African/black diaspora, without travel!
Experience traditional dance instruction from five countries; drum and dance workshops; an African Market featuring unique handmade goods; artist Q&A; and community. Dance Africa Fest invites participants of all ages and skill levels to connect with significant traditional dance forms originating from the continent. Acclaimed artists teaching this year are Mabiba Baegne, Kiazi Malonga, Solo Sana, Vieux Traore and Phumelele Ntokozo Bohlela/Popit.
Schedule – October 1, 2017 (events take place in two studios)
- ***9:00 am – 10:00 am, FREE Community and Kids dance class (Guinean dance; Djembe).
- 9:00 am – 10:30 am, PopIt Afrobeats dance class (Nigerian and South African dance).
- 10:15 am – 11:45 pm, Vieux Traore drum class (Malian dance; Djembe & DounDoun). Bring your own drum, limited rentals.
10:45 am – 12:15 pm, Solo Sana dance class (Malian dance; Djembe).
- 12:25 pm – 1:25 pm, Lunchtime Artist Q&A (lunch included in Full Bundle package purchase).
- 1:30 pm – 3:00 pm, Mabiba Baegne doundoun class (Guinean, doundoun dance is a combination of dance and stick drumming). Bring your doundoun, ashiko or other drum (not your djembe), limited rentals.
- 3:15 pm – 4:45 pm, Solo Sana dance class (Malian; Djembe).
- 5:00 pm – 6:30 pm, Mabiba Baegne dance class (Congolese; Ngoma)
*** Workshops are free for children under 10 years old (must have parent or guardian on site).
- ***FREE: Community/kids class
- All other workshops $20 per person, per class
- $120 – Full Bundle (5 classes, plus catered lunch)
- $100 – Thrifty Bundle (5 classes only, no lunch)
Tickets are available online.
This project is supported in part by the Cultural Arts Division of the City of Austin Economic Development Department.
Dance Africa Fest’s mission is to offer Austin residents artistic and educational activities that celebrate traditional, contemporary, social, imaginative, gestural, pedestrian, and physical exploration of dance and music of the African/black Diaspora. For additional information visit our website.
- Sun October 1
9:00 am | 6:30 pm
- Free - $120
- Event Categories:
- Arts & Culure, Community, Events, Fitness, Music, Social, Special Events