Juneteenth! Eat Your Way Through History!
Mon June 19 @ 11:30 am | 2:00 pm| $20
You are invited to join local Chef and Author Angela Shelf Medearis The Kitchen Diva for a Special Juneteenth Lunch and Learn program Eat Your Way Through History!
Join us at the Carver Museum for servings of historic dishes with a “Diva-licious Twist! The menu will African, Caribbean, Texan and Southern cuisines and ingredients adapted fro Dr. George Washington Carver. Lunch will be served continuously from 11:30am to 2pm and will feature:
- Caribbean ‘Throwdown’ Jerk Chicken*** (the recipe that slayed Iron Ched Bobby Flay!)
- African Jollof Rice*
- Carver-Style marinated Field Peas with Sweet Corn*
- Southern Apple Cider Coleslaw*
- Juneteenth Fruit Salad*
- Sweet Potato Cornbread**
- Madres Apple Streusel***
- (*Vegan/Vegetarian/Gluten Free **Vegetarian Gluten Free*** )
- Culinary History Lecture during lunch at 1:30p: From Slavery to Freedom and What We Ate on Our Journey
- Self-Paced Tour of the Carver Museum and Juneteenth Statue Display
- Medearis Autographed Books Give Away
Sign up today to Lunch and Learn with The Kitchen Diva at the Carver Museum! Seating is limited! $20 Advanced Reservation via Eventbrite //$25 at the door
EAT YOUR WAY THROUGH HISTORY Lunch and Lecture Series Classes officially start Thursday, June 29th. You can sign up in advance for the Lunch and Learn Series via Eventbrite or pay at the door each Thursday for an additional fee before lunch is served and the program begins.
Part of the proceeds for the EAT YOUR WAY THROUGH HISTORY programs and lunches are used to support THE KITCHEN DIVA’S HEALTH OUTREACH initiatives via Book Boosters, Inc., a 501 ( c ) 3 non-profit (74-2652688) that works with adults and children in under-served communities and provides culinary training and employment for low-income, single parents. Your donations and program support are greatly appreciated!
- Mon June 19
11:30 am | 2:00 pm
- Event Categories:
- Arts & Culure, Community, Social
- George Washington Carver Museum & Cultural Center
1165 Angelina St
Austin, TX 78702 United States
Tue May 23 @ 6:30 am | 8:00 pm
Thu May 25 @ 7:30 pm | 8:30 pm